Shalom everyone! The following is a lecture given by Akala at the University of Oxford‘s Oxford Union, giving an overview of African history from prehistoric times to the 19th century. Akala, using many credible sources, tells African history that has been conveniently erased in the education systems around the world. Contrary to the popular belief that our only contribution throughout history has been slave labor, Africans built and sustained many civilizations throughout Africa and in the Americas. We had our own kingdoms, military powers, navies and even ventured to the Americas and built civilizations their prior to the arrival of Asians via the Bering Strait and the Europeans in the 15th century. Africans have a long and rich history we can be proud of, and even influenced a number of other ancient cultures including the Greeks and Romans. And also contrary to popular belief, Africans fought back against slavery and oppression, many times and with some success.
Akala also gives his opinions on the “N-word” and its brutal history, and why everyone should completely eradicate its use anywhere.
“He alone is poor who does not possess knowledge.” ~ The Talmud
Kingslee James Daley, better known by the stage name Akala, is an English rapper, poet, and journalist. Originally from Kentish Town, London, his older sister is rapper/vocalist Ms. Dynamite. In 2006, he was voted the Best Hip Hop Act at the MOBO Awards.
ABOUT THE OXFORD UNION SOCIETY: The Union is the world’s most prestigious debating society, with an unparalleled reputation for bringing international guests and speakers to Oxford. It has been established for 189 years, aiming to promote debate and discussion not just in Oxford University, but across the globe.
Akala | Full Address and Q&A | Oxford Union
Video from OxfordUnion/YouTube
- Unesco General Histories Of Africa Vol 1-15 – Multiple authors
- When We Ruled – Robin Walker
- Before The Slave Trade – Robin Walker
- The African Origin Of Civilsation: Myth or Reality – Cheikh Anta Diop
- The Came Before Columbus – Ivan Van Sertima
- Early America Revisited – Ivan Van Sertima
- Black Athena – Martin Bernal
- Black Genesis – Bauval & Brophy
- Imhotep The African – Bauval & Brophy
- African Towns & Cities Before European Conquest – Richard Hull
- The Ruins Of Empires – C.F Volney
- Ancient Egypt The Light Of The World – Gerald Massey
- The Signs and Symbols Of Primordial Man – Albert Churchward
- Africa and Africans As Seen By The Classical writers – William Leo Hansberry
- Life In Ancient Egypt – Adolf Erman
- Ancient Egyptian Literature Vol 1-3 – MariamÂ Lichtheim
- African Philosophy: The Pharaonic Period – Theophile Obenga
- Timbuctoo The Mysterious – Felix Dubois
- The Black Jacobins – C.L.R James
- The Irritated Genie – Jacob Carruthers
- Africa In History – Basil Davidson
- Ta’rikh al Fattash – Al Hajj Mahmud Kati
- The Pale Fox – Griaule & Dierterlen A Tropical Dependency – Flora S Lugard