Shalom everyone! Rosh Chodesh Ziv, the first day of the Fourth Month, begins sundown Wednesday, June 27, 2018 on the ecclesiastical lunar calendar, with the sighting of the full moon. The Fourth Month marks the Fast of the Fourth Month on the 17th day, the anniversary of Yisrael‘s sin with the Golden Calf. In the Northern Hemisphere, this month’s full moon is also called the “Strawberry Moon.” TwelveTotems.org wishes a “Chodesh Tov” (“A Good Month”) to all who observe!
About This Month
The Fourth Month of the Hebrew calendar, and tenth month of the “civil year,” later became known as “Tamuz” after the Babylonian Exile. The word “Tamuz” comes from the Assyrian-Babylonian month “Arah Dumuzu“ named in honor of the Assyrian-Babylonian deity “Tamuz.”
The following are the holidays and special events that occur during the Fourth Month:
- 1 of Fourth Month – Day of Remembrance (Jubilees 6)
- 17 of Fourth Month – (Fast of the Fourth Month)
The following are some of the significant events in Israelite history which occurred during the Fourth Month:
- 1 of Fourth Month – The Flood – the mouths of the depths of the abysses were closed.
- 1 of Fourth Month (2134 AM) – Birth of Joseph, son of Jacob
- 3 of Fourth Month (circa 1272 BCE) – Joshua stops the sun (Joshua 10:1-15)
- 5 of Fourth Month (circa 592 BCE) – Ezekiel receives his “Chariot” vision (Ezekiel 1:4-26)
- 9 of Fourth Month (circa 586 BCE) – Jerusalem walls breached by King Nebuchadnezzar, a date observed as a fast day until the second breaching of Jerusalem’s walls by the Romans on the 17th of Tammuz (70 CE)
- 17 of Fourth Month (circa 1312 BCE) – Golden Calf offered by the Jewish people, 40 days after the giving of the Torah at Har Sinai. This is the first of the 5 national tragedies mourned on this day.
- 17 of Fourth Month (circa 1312 BCE) – Smashing of the first Tablets by Moses.
- 17 of Fourth Month (circa 586 BCE) – The daily sacrifices in the Holy Temple were discontinued.
- 17 of Fourth Month (70 CE) – Walls of Jerusalem breached by the Roman army.
- 17 of Fourth Month – The Roman general Apostomus burned the Torah and placed an idol in the Holy Temple.
- 17 of Tamuz (1776 CE) – Declaration of Independence of the United States of America