Shalom everyone! Rosh Chodesh Sixth Month, the first day of the Sixth Month, begins sundown Sunday, August 26, 2018 on the ecclesiastical lunar calendar, with the sighting of the full moon. In the Northern Hemisphere, this month’s full moon is also called the “Sturgeon Moon.” TwelveTotems.org wishes a “Chodesh Tov” (“A Good Month”) to all who observe!
About This Month
The Sixth Month of the Hebrew calendar became known as Elul after the Babylonian Exile. The word “Elul” is from the Akkadian word “elūlu” meaning “harvest.“
The following are the holidays and special events that occur during the Sixth Month:
- The beginning of the reading of Psalm 27 twice daily, in the morning and evening prayer services, until Shemini Atzeret (22nd of Ethanim).
The following are some of the significant events in Israelite history which occurred during the Sixth Month:
- 1 of Sixth Month – Moses ascends Sinai for 3rd 40 days (1313 BCE)
- 1 of Sixth Month – The Prophet Haggai commands that the rebuilding of the Second Temple continue (520 BCE)
- 5 of Sixth Month – Ezekiel the prophet has a prophecy of the destruction of the first temple
- 9 of Sixth Month – Birth of Dan, son of Jacob
- 10 of Sixth Month – Noah dispatches raven (2105 BCE)
- 17 of Sixth Month – Noah dispatches dove (2105 BCE)
- 23 of Sixth Month – Dove brings olive Leaf to Noah (2105 BCE)
- 25 of Sixth Month – The 1st day of Creation (3761 BCE)
- 25 of Sixth Month – Jerusalem Walls Rebuilt (335 BCE)